Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Just Follow the Directions

He has showed you, O man, what is good.  And what does the LORD require of you?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. -- Micah 6:8, NIV
A couple of months ago I stepped out in faith and quit a good-paying, part-time job with flexible hours in order to follow what I believe to be God's will for my life.  With a newly-released second book under my belt and the desire to build a speaking ministry to encourage others in their walk, I sensed it was time to leave the financial stability of that job in order to have more time to take care of my family, better serve my clients, and grow the ministry.  I looked forward to having more time to read, write, and market my books.  So far, it seems little has happened to advance the cause, although God has opened a few doors here and there.  Still, I find myself asking the same questions that arise from time to time.  Did I make the right decision?  What was I thinking?  Did I really sense God's leading or was I just dreaming that this was his plan for me? 

Sometimes faith is hard to come by and doubt creeps in like an invisible invader bent on stealing our joy and thwarting God's plans for us.  Conviction becomes muddied and gives way to discouragement as our time and energy are redirected by the distractions of daily living.  For me, sometimes the best I can manage is simply to do the next thing that demands my attention.  Seldom are those things related to the ministry I feel called to or the activities needed to move forward in that direction.  A lot of days I feel like a rudderless ship on a vast sea of possibilities, lost without any sense of direction and going absolutely nowhere!

As I prayed through this dilemma, I realized that I am not alone in thinking this way.  Many of us struggle to see God's grand purpose in the midst of our mediocre lives.  We begin to wonder, "Is this all there is?  What I am supposed to do now, Lord?" 

God's Word gives us direction for daily living, but do we really follow the directions he gives us?  What does God really want from us any way?  Micah 6:8 gives us the answer -- "to act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."  Could it really be that simple?

The Bible is full of directions and encouragement to anchor us when we feel we are wandering aimlessly through this life.  Rather than get so caught up in what we haven't done, we need to focus on what God's Word tells us to do.  When is the last time you sought His Word for the answers to your questions?  They are there, and so is God.  If you will diligently search for God with your whole heart by reading His Word and seeking His will, you will find Him and His Spirit will direct your steps according to His Word.

Because of our foolish pride we have a hard time asking for directions.  Don't you think it is about time that we stop wasting time being lost, ask God for help from His Word, and follow the directions?

No comments:

Post a Comment