Thursday, February 23, 2012

I Shall Not Be Moved

I will bless the Lord who has given me counsel; My heart also instructs me in the night seasons.  I have set the Lord always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.  Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will rest in hope.   (Psalm 16:7-9, NKJV)
As I write this, night has fallen.  It is dark outside, a time when vision is hindered and the body and mind are weary.  It is the time of day when the day's work ends and the body finds rest. 

But what about the soul?   Aren't there periods when we find ourselves in a dark place spiritually and emotionally, when the spirit is willing but the flesh too weak to continue fighting the battle waged against us by the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms (Ephesians 6:12)?  Our enemy, Satan, knows all too well what it will take to disarm the soldiers of God, strip us of our ministry, and tarnish our testimony.  He stops at nothing to do whatever it takes to discourage us, defeat us, and doom us to a life of ineffectiveness in God's kingdom.

If you are walking in a right relationship with God, surrendered to His will and living according to the principles set forth in His Word, then you are a threat to the enemy and he will stop at nothing to wear you down until you can no longer stand.  If you are in ministry, laboring for the souls of humanity and sharing the encouraging truth of God's Word with others, be on your guard and put on the full armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-17) so that you can withstand the attacks of the one who will do anything in his power to see you fail!  He may assault you through your family, your finances, or your health and so discourage you that you throw in the towel and cry, "It's not worth it!"  DON'T GIVE UP and DON'T GIVE IN!  That is precisely what the enemy is hoping for and we cannot give him the victory that Christ has already won for us.  We are MORE than conquerors (Romans 8:31, 37)!

I am facing my own challenges as I write this.  I look at my blog counter and think, "Who am I kidding?  Nobody reads this stuff.  I don't know why I even write it."  But, I do know.  It is because God continues to take me through hard lessons so that I may grow ever more dependent on Him, know on a much deeper level His great love and mercy, and share those lessons with others who need encouragement.  This is my ministry, my calling, and "because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.  Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; my flesh will also rest in hope."

If you find yourself so besieged by worry and trouble that you are ready to quit, I implore you:  Don't give up on God by giving in to the enemy!  Read God's Word, pray at all times and in all places, and give thanks in all things, knowing that greater is God who lives in you than the enemy who is in the world!  Continue to fight the good fight of faith (1 Timothy 6:12) so that you can say, as Paul did, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing" (2 Timothy 4:7-8).

No comments:

Post a Comment