Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Gift in Giving

Give, and it will be given to you.  A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap.  For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. -- Luke 6:38, NIV

Usually when I sit down to pay bills I feel nothing but pain.  However, today's experience was quite different.  Because of an unexpected financial gift, I was able to turn around and write a check not only for our regular tithe, but also for donations over and above our budgeted giving amount.  The sheer joy of giving made me realize just how blessed I am, especially at those times when it seems unlikely that the bills will get paid on time or we will make it to another pay day.

Years of acquiring things we could not afford have resulted in a Mt. Everest of debt for our family.  But this debt has become a great motivator for us to pinch pennies and a great tool for teaching our children what is really important in life.  Many of those things I bought on credit have gone by the wayside or found their way to a local thrift store or Goodwill.  The headache of maintaining all those things has diminished as I have gotten rid of them, and the sense of achievement I have gained from watching the balances owed to our creditors get smaller month by month only makes me more determined to pay everything off as quickly as possible.

When is the last time you received a blessing by giving to someone else?  If you are feeling pinched to the point that you don't think you could spare a soul a dime, try giving!  As you discover the joy of blessing others, I believe you will find it ultimately more satisfying than buying all that stuff you think you cannot live without!

God's resources are endless.  He promises to supply all our needs (not wants) (Philippians 4:19) and to take care of those who give to the poor (Proverbs 28:27).  It has been said, "You can't outgive God."  The more I give, the more I know that to be true.  Dare to take God at His Word and give 'til it hurts.  He is counting on you to be his vessel of blessing in a desperately needy world.

No comments:

Post a Comment