Saturday, February 4, 2012

Finding Peace in the Midst of Pain

If you are reading this blog then you are a person who has pain.  Whether physical or emotional, we cannot live life without experiencing deep pain from time to time.  Some of us deal with pain on a daily basis; others coast along life's highway carelessly until they hit it head on like a concrete barricade.

People often marvel that I am a published writer, but I tell them that writing is simply the way I process life and all its challenges.  Journaling keeps me prayerfully focused on what God has to say about the things that affect me and keeps me from turning to coping mechanisms which will never solve anything.  Just because I am a Christian author doesn't mean that I have all the answers.  On the contrary, it is because I am still seeking relief from my own pain that God comforts me with His Word and inspires me to encourage others.

As I prayed through a particular hurt this morning, I asked God to speak to me.  I knew the only way I would hear from Him would be to read His Word, so I turned to the book of Psalms and was comforted by these verses.

Psalm 119:71 -- "It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees."  It was good for me to be afflicted.  Can you say that about your own troubles?  Do you allow the pain and heartache you suffer to draw you closer to God and teach you the decrees and promises in His Word?  Without His Word we cannot know Him.  Without Him, we have no hope.

Psalm 119:75 -- "I know, LORD, that your laws are righteous, and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me."  In faithfulness you have afflicted me.  Even in the midst of your troubles, can you see the faithfulness of God?  Do you know that God is good all the time, even when times are not necessarily all good?

Psalm 119:136 -- "Streams of tears flow from my eyes, for your law is not obeyed." I can honestly say that I relate to this verse!  How many of us, whose loved ones are lost or whose children rebel, have cried tears of utter brokenness because of the disobedience and disregard they have for God's Word and His ways?  We have something so precious -- God's hope and salvation -- and we cannot understand why they could reject something so wonderful!  Yet, how many of us were once in a place where we did not fully comprehend God's goodness?  We must never cease to pray for God to open their eyes and soften their hard hearts.  What He did for us He can certainly do for those we love.

Psalm 126:5 -- "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."  As we weep let us remember that we do not weep in vain nor will we weep forever.  

Psalm 34:18 -- "The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."  If you are brokenhearted, take heart and allow God's promise to be near you give you the peace you so desperately seek.

God is good.  When He allows pain to come into our lives, He also gives us the resources to be able to deal with the suffering.  If you will look for His purpose in your affliction, trust His promise to work all things together for good (Romans 8:28), allow God to use your pain for His glory, and "draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith" (Hebrews 10:22), then "the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7).

No comments:

Post a Comment