Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Shows You What I Know

The big topic of conversation on social media sites and in the news today is last night's victory of Alabama over LSU in the BCS championship.  I am almost ashamed to admit this, but I had to Google BCS to even know what it stands for!  Shows you what I know.

Obviously, I am not a big sports fan.  When I go to a Superbowl party (now I do know what the Superbowl is), it is because I enjoy the food, fellowship, and commercials.  I could no more tell you who is even in the running to play this year's bowl game.

I will never put down a sports fan.  In fact, I admire sports fans for their knowledge and enthusiasm about something so near and dear to their hearts.   But it saddens me to think that many Christians are more vocal about bowl games, athletes, and sports trivia than they are about Christ and all He has done for us.  What if we got that excited about the true Superstar, Jesus Christ?  Do you think the world might take notice?  What is it about sports that excites us so much that we feel compelled to share our love for the game with every one we meet?   On the other hand, why are we not as enthusiastic to share our love for Christ and His love for the world with those we encounter everyday?

I am embarassed to be so dumb when it comes to sports, but "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.  For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written:  'The righteous will live by faith'" (Romans 1:16-17). 

I may not know much about sports or be a fan of football, but I am a HUGE fan of Jesus Christ.  If you are, too, then show the world what you know about His love, forgiveness, mercy, and grace.  If we as Christians can get as excited about our relationship with Jesus as the rest of the world gets about football, just think what could happen!  Don't hold the faith football and try to run it downfield all by yourself.  Pass your faith along and see how many people you can get to follow you across the goal line!

No comments:

Post a Comment