Monday, January 23, 2012

Seeking God's Will

Some days I think I have a handle on God's plan for my life.  Other days I'm not so sure.  What's that all about?  Somehow, I don't think I am the only person who experiences a "crisis of faith" in the course of daily living.  Yet that is where I find myself as I pray and seek God's will for the ministry to which I believe He has called me.

Yesterday, our pastor preached a sermon on faith, sharing the story of Abraham, a man called by God to "go to a place which he was to receive as an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going" (Hebrews 11:8, NASB).  God also promised Abraham an heir, a son born from the union of this aged man and his wife, who was well beyond child-bearing years.  "By faith he lived...." (v. 9).

If someone were to look at your life, what would they see?  A man or woman of courage, fearlessly embracing the unknown with the certainty that God has a special purpose to accomplish through you?  Are we courageous enough to do as Abraham did, leaving the familiar to walk into an unknown future with only God's promises to guide us? 

Only God's promises.  When you think about it, what more do we need than His promises? 

Some days I'll admit that I feel I am walking into ministry completely blindfolded, unable to see the next step in front of me.  I am overwhelmed with a sense of lostness that can only be illumined by God's Word.  "Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path" (Psalm 119:105).  When I cannot see a way to fund a book order or writing conference, God provides.  When I stress over not finding time to market my books, God opens a door for a speaking engagement or the opportunity to give a book to someone in need, who in turn purchases a copy for someone else. 

As long as I am seeking God's will day by day, He moves me forward one step at a time even when I can't see the road in front of me.  It is a hard journey at times, but one that I wouldn't trade for all the comfort in the world.  You see, without a crisis of faith none of us would ever truly learn to depend on God.  If we had all the answers, we wouldn't need Him, would we?

May we never be so confident in the direction we are going that there is no place for God on our journey.  If you are struggling to determine His will for you, "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).

2 comments:

  1. Oh Dee Dee, to give thanks is God's will for me. Today I want to thank Him for too many tasks to be done because that means my life is full. Just that brief moment of gratitude has shifted my attitude. Thanks for your encouragement!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I think we get so caught up in trying to figure out God's plan that we simply forget to thank Him for it, whether or not we fully understand it all. I am thankful that you found this an encouraging post and appreciate your ministry to so many! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete