Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Happy Hour

Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days. (Psalm 90:14)
My friends know that unless I am sick or away from home (and sometimes even then), I get up early each morning to spend time with the Lord, reading His Word and praying through my day and for loved ones in need.  It truly is the happiest hour of my day, though that wasn't always the case.

When I graduated from college and entered the work force, my heart was far from God.  Sure, I attended church, was a member of the choir, and knew the right things to say and do, but I didn't have an intimate relationship with Him as I do today.  To me, God was just God.  He wasn't a friend or someone I felt I needed to depend on since I was so cocky and self-assured.  Rather, He was a deity somewhere off in the distance.  I knew He controlled the universe, but He didn't control me.

My first job was as a customer service rep in a bank located in the heart of the medical center.  Every other Thursday afternoon our lobby would be filled with hospital employees who had come in to cash their paychecks.  On those stressful Thursdays I would often stop off at a local lounge on my way home to drink away the tension that had built up.  Yet those "happy hours" turned into unhealthy, self-destructive binges which could easily have resulted in unthinkable tragedy had it not been for the grace of a loving God who waited patiently for me to see the folly of my ways and return to Him.  After about four years of a battle with alcohol and the complete erosion of my character, I hit rock bottom and realized that the only solution to my problems was to surrender my life to the Lord who have saved me as a little girl.

If you have discovered, as I did, that happy hour only temporarily takes the edge off your pain leaving you empty and unsatisfied, try a different happy hour.  All the cocktails in the world won't quench your thirst or heal your brokenness.  Only Jesus, the Living Water, can satisfy your thirsty soul, wash you clean, and make you new.  Rather than stop by the local watering hole for happy hour at the end of a stressful day, begin each day with Jesus and let Him make you happy all day long.

No comments:

Post a Comment