Saturday, January 21, 2012

CATastrophe!

 "The righteous care for the needs of their animals,  but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel." (Proverbs 12:10)


This is Gypsy, a cat we adopted from a neighbor who moved to Mississippi a few years ago with her big dogs and indoor cats.  An outdoor cat and neighborhood vagabond, Gypsy was standoffish when my son first tried to befriend her.  Once she became ours and we started feeding her, she slowly began warming up to our family, even to the point where she would occasionally tolerate being picked up and brought inside our house.

Over the years Gyspy has truly become a member of our family.  Her ways have become predictable to us and she never fails to greet us at the kitchen door with a fervent "Meow" to let us know that she is ready for her breakfast!  One day this week, however, after a long night's rest in her favorite chair, Gypsy failed to meet me at the door.  I walked over to her chair in the garage and petted her, looking for signs of injury or illness but finding none.  It was only when I took her food to her and she attempted to sit up that it became obvious that she indeed had an injured leg and was in considerable pain.

Having never owned a cat, I wasn't really sure how, or even if, I should move her to take her to our vet.  So I called her former vet, Dr. Lippy, because I know that she makes house calls and was familiar with Gypsy.  Dr. Lippy came to pick her up in her mobile vet office and took her away for the day to examine her between other calls.  When she called later in the afternoon, we were not prepared for the diagnosis:  "Gypsy has been shot."  Our Gyspy?  That gorgeous sweet kitty who lives to kill the moles and chipmunks that have caused so much damage to our yard and flowerbeds?  Needless to say, I was shocked and angry that someone would inflict such pain on a defenseless animal, and none-too-thrilled with the expense of having her treated for her injury!  Fortunately, Dr. Lippy says that Gypsy should make a full recovery with a month's rest inside.  My kids, who have long wanted a housecat, couldn't be more thrilled even though they are both allergic to cats! 

Although this CATastrophe was not on my radar or in my plan for the week, it was apparently God's plan for us.  Thankfully, He provided a substantial portion of the money to pay the vet through the generous donation of a neighbor who recognizes the value of having a hunter like Gypsy around to control the rodents and squirrels that can damage homes and lawns.  It is my prayer that God will use this incident to raise awareness of animal cruelty and illegal gun use in the town where I live so that others won't have to go through what we have this week. 




No comments:

Post a Comment