Sunday, March 25, 2012

Lean In, Lean Hard

Ever have one of those weeks when you couldn't see how you could possibly make it through?  Life seems full of weeks like that these days and I have learned that if I lean hard into God, he will indeed carry me through with his supernatural strength and the peace of his abiding presence.

Jesus tells us to come to him when we are weary and burdened and he will give us rest (Matthew 11:28).  In The Message, Eugene Peterson paraphrases Matthew 11:28-30 this way: 
Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.
This paraphrase really captures the heart of what can happen when we realize that Christianity is not about religion, but about a relationship with Christ himself.  Religion teaches us that we fall short as imperfect human beings and places the burden on us to either perform and succeed or flounder and fail.  But a relationship with Christ gives us hope that we can make it through even our toughest challenges and most grueling days because Christ himself is with us every step of the way, filling us with his power, wisdom, love, and grace to live in victory for his glory.

If you find yourself weighed down by the cares of this world, overscheduled, overworked, and exhausted, lean in and lean hard on the everlasting arms of the One who will carry you and give you rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment