Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Trust and Obey

As pay day came and went, I breathed my customary semi-monthly sigh of relief and contemplated how to make my husband's paycheck cover all our family's expenses for the next two weeks.  It occurred to me that my greatest struggle for obedience is in the area of finances.  I know what Scripture teaches about tithing, giving, and stewardship, but I have such trouble truly trusting God in the area of money.  I still think that somehow I am responsible (and to a degree, I am) for making sure that all the bills get paid on time, the family gets fed, and most importantly, that I am obedient to God's commands in the area of giving.  Yet sometimes I have a hard time writing that tithe check and giving God the first fruits of all he has given us, especially when my bank account tells me that doing so doesn't make good sense.  What I see as financial impossibility God sees as a divine opportunity to bless me, if only I will let him.

Again I am reminded of God's promise in Malachi 3:10-11 (NIV):
"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.  I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty.
Perhaps your greatest challenge is in another area of life such as eating, relationships, or the way you manage your time.  Whatever your struggle may be, know that God expects obedience in every area of our lives and that he rewards those who keep his commandments.  Obedience and trust in God demonstrate our love for him. Jesus said, "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.  He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him" (John 14:21).  Who of us doesn't desire more of God?  If we say that we love him, then let us not be hindered by our disobedience. Rather let us choose to obey his Word, claiming the promises that were written for us.

"Trust and obey, for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus than to trust and obey" (John H. Sammis).

No comments:

Post a Comment