Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Amazing Mercy

But LORD, be merciful to us, for we have waited for you.  Be our strong arm each day and our salvation in times of trouble. (Isaiah 33:2, NLT)
As I wrapped up my quiet time this morning, I came across the above verse from the book of Isaiah.  As I read this brief prayer I realized just how merciful God has been and how faithful he has been to meet me each morning, listen to my prayers, and work in my life to accomplish his purposes. 

Sometimes it seems as though we get shortchanged in the mercy department.  However, I believe if we are truly living for God and look for his blessings in even the most unpleasant circumstances, we can see his hand of mercy in our lives, no matter what we may be going through.  Seeing God's mercy in our lives sometimes requires that we not look so hard at ourselves, but turn our attention to others whose difficulties far outweigh our own.  When we stop feeling sorry about ourselves long enough to extend God's mercy to those around us who so desperately need it, somehow God's mercy to us becomes a little easier to see.  Jesus himself said, "Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy" (Matthew 5:7, NIV).

If you need God's mercy and strength today, then take a few minutes to wait on him in prayer and seek an encounter with him in the pages of Scripture.  Ask him to reveal himself to you and to be your very present help in times of trouble (Psalm 46:1).  Extend his mercy to others and thank him for his mercy to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment