Sunday, July 24, 2011

Symphony of Praise

Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. (Psalm 42:5, NIV)

The sound of thunder greeted me when I awoke from my Sunday afternoon nap.  Walking outside I looked to the sky for signs of rain, praying that God would send showers to nourish and sustain my flowers and lawn.  How many times have we been teased by thunder only to have the rain pass us by?  As much as I love thunder's percussion, a thundershower is just a bunch of noise without the rain.  It takes the breeze of God's woodwinds and His string section, the rain, to make the symphony complete and to refresh that which is parched and wilted.

Life is full of storms, many which come against us with little or no warning.  Some come because of our choices.  All have the potential to destroy us unless we rise above them and see them from a more heavenly perspective.  The dissonance of sin, chaos, regret, and unending stress can deafen us to God's voice and harden our hearts against His love if we are playing from a different score that the one He wrote for us, the Word of God.

The Bible speaks often of storms.  Jesus calmed the storm that raged against his disciples when they were at sea.  God used a mighty flood to destroy the earth, saving each species of animal and a few faithful followers, giving man a second chance to live life on God's terms and enjoy the blessing of being rightly related to his Creator.  Then there are the storms with which we are all too familiar -- cancer, financial lack, dysfunctional relationships, and job stress.  Although we may not hear a symphony in the stress of everyday life, nevertheless each challenge we face is a note in a beautiful symphony that God is composing in the hearts of His followers. 

Lord, give us ears to hear the music of Your heart!  Help us to hear the symphony you are composing in the storms of life.  Teach us Your truths, show us Your faithfulness morning by morning, and let our songs of thankfulness in all things become a symphony of praise to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment