Friday, May 27, 2011

All Creatures Great and Small

"And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." -- Genesis 1:20-21

Earlier this week as I was preparing to leave for work, I noticed a small insect on the window of my car.  At first, I thought it was a spider (not an insect) but on closer inspection realized that it was a praying mantis not more than 1/2 inch long.  Despite his (or her) miniature size, the mantis was a perfectly formed though smaller version of the adult praying mantises that frequented our yard last summer.  Sadly I had only my camera phone handy to snap a few photos, so no one but Joy and me will ever know how truly cute a bug he was!

As an animal lover, I am especially fond of baby animals.  I can remember one spring evening observing a brood of killdeer chicks running along the curb on our church parking lot.  Having seen plenty of adults on the grounds, I marvelled at how cute these tiny replicas were!  It is a sight I shall never forget.  Born to run, these little birds had no trouble keeping up with their parents.

There are few things in life that demonstrate God's creative genius than his creatures, both great and small.  Whether it is a tiny insect or a solitary great blue heron standing in the shallow water of a lake or pond, these glimpses of God's glory in the animal kingdom are reminders of his presence and the great care he has for his created ones, including us.

If you have trouble seeing God's glory because of the chaos and challenges you face, get out, take a walk, and look for God's hidden treasures.  Before long you will be so captivated by the brilliance and breathtaking beauty of the world he has created that your heart will be encouraged and uplifted by the realization that you are his most prized creation!


1 comment:

  1. God's handiwork and especially His attention to detail is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete