Thursday, February 3, 2011

Take Him at His Word

"Give, and it will be given to you.  A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap.  For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." -- Luke 6:38

One Friday night, I had the pleasure of joining several women from our Sunday school class for dinner at a local restaurant.  It had been a difficult week for me and I felt too tired to be social, yet having verbally committed to joining them I didn't feel I could back out at the last minute.  On the way to the restaurant I prayed for God to simply get me through the evening, help me be pleasant, and keep me from bursting into tears in the middle of our conversation.  Not only did God answer my prayers, but he refreshed and encouraged me in ways that only he could have that night.

There were eighteen in our party served by one very wonderful young waitress who had just come off maternity leave.  Although some in our party special ordered items and we all came in at different times, she never complained or missed a beat.  She conversed warmly with us as she waited our tables and delivered such a high level of service that it was just a natural response to tip her generously.  Still, I couldn't help but think of how tired she would be after her shift and the energy she would need to meet the demands of the young child that awaited her at home.  While the other ladies in our party were settling their checks, I decided to run out to the car and bring in a copy of Good to the Last Drop to present to her as a small token of appreciation from all of the ladies in our class.  She seemed genuinely appreciative and asked me to autograph her copy, then gave me a big hug.

Driving home I prayed for her, satisfied that I had followed God's lead in giving her a copy of the book and thankful for the opportunity to minister to her.  I prayed that God would open doors for ministry to others like her and help me actually sell some books, since sales in recent months have been lackluster and my new job doesn't leave much time for book marketing. 

Before turning in for the night, I checked my email one final time and found this message from a woman I had never even met:  "I happened to be sitting at the bar when your waitress showed me the book you gave her.  You have no idea how much your book will bless her.  I would be very interested in getting your book for some of my employees.  Many of them are wonderful Christians.  I will need about 10 books."  Needless to say, I was absolutely bowed over with gratitude for this blessed turn of events which only God could have orchestrated!  I really had no idea anyone but God was even interested in what took place in the room where we had gathered for dinner and fellowship.  

At a time when I really needed encouragement and a special touch from God, he proved himself faithful to the promises of his Word and showed me that he really does care about the details of my life and the desires of my heart, just as he does yours.  You can take him at his Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment