Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Wild Dog Chase

"Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." -- Philippians 2:4

Still tired from yesterday's romp around the neighborhood as I tried to track down the owner of two very sweet dogs -- a gorgeous Great Dane and his sweet companion, a feisty chocolate Labrador Retriever -- I'm still trying to figure out why they came to us in the first place.  I still laugh at the thought of me driving around town in my pajamas with a bad case of bedhead and two very large dogs in my little red car and discovering that their owner was someone I had recently met.  I was forty five minutes late for work as a result of the escapade, but was pleased to have done a good deed and helped a couple of four-legged friends in the process.

Some days are like that, aren't they?  Full of unexpected surprises that often set our day in motion and leave us feeling exhausted and satisfied at day's end, even if we are a little bewildered.  We often have to make split decisions and trust God for a good outcome, which is precisely what I did in the case of the dog chase.  I am thankful that all ended well for those concerned.

Everyday can be an adventure in serving God, if we are open to the opportunities to do good to our fellow man and perhaps even the occasional canine companion.  Wherever you are today, ask God to give you a glimpse of his purpose and to use you in a unique way to make a difference in someone else's life.  We all need someone looking out for us, even if we don't realize it.   And there will always be someone we can help if we are willing to give up a little time and energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment