Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What a Mess!

"Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverence." -- James 1:2-3

If you could see my office right now, you would see the same thing I see -- one big mess!  I have just enough pride, or shame, not to post a picture of it on this blog, but I can promise you that the desktop is cluttered.  Perhaps the reason I keep it messy is so I don't have to dust so often!

When I was considering book covers for Good to the Last Drop:  Refreshing Inspiration for Homeschool Moms and Other Busy Women, one of the cover options depicted a napkin with coffee stains (pictured here).   Although I did not select it for the cover of my book, it spoke volumes to me of how messy life can be.  No matter how hard we try to do everything by the book, how well we try to behave ourselves, or how much effort and planning we put into our daily lives, inevitably something falls apart and we are left wondering what went wrong.  Sometimes our messes are caused by our choices, like my decision to play in the snow or watch TV with my kids instead of filing the loose papers in my office and polishing my desk.  But often our messes just happen.  Even when we cannot prevent bad things from happening, we can choose the attitude with which we will face our problems and either be stressed or blessed by our mess!

The next time you find yourself with a mess on your hands, just raise those hands and praise God anyway!  Instead of crying over the spilled milk in your life, grab a towel, wipe it up, and move on.  Before long, you'll become so good at dealing with the messes in your life that life won't seem so messy after all!


No comments:

Post a Comment