Thursday, January 27, 2011

Same Old Song

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." -- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Of all the people in my life, my mom is probably my greatest source of encouragement, particularly when it comes to my writing.  Moms are supposed to do that, you know -- encourage their children, display their artwork on refrigerators and coffee tables, and brag every once in awhile.  But my mom goes way beyond that most days -- sometimes she not only encourages but absolutely inspires me.

About my devotional, "Broken Record: Gold Edition," she wrote this: 
I know exactly how you feel.....taking the same problems and people before the Lord every morning. And some mornings I try to "re-arrange" the order so HE doesn't get tired of me saying the same things over and over. Silly me, and I then have to remind myself that He says it is okay and all is well with Him and me.
Don't you just love that?  Mom hit the nail right on the head!  It doesn't matter how often or in what order we offer our prayers to God.  The Bible tells us that Jesus "lives to intercede" for us (Hebrews 25:7)!  How awesome is that?

Next time you feel like a broken record and wonder if your prayers are going through, make sure that you have confessed your sin, offered God your sacrifice of praise (Hebrews 13:15), and given thanks for all his wonderful deeds in your behalf.  Rest in the assurance that even when we do not know what we ought to pray for, "the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express" (Romans 8:26).

No comments:

Post a Comment