Thursday, January 13, 2011

New Glasses

"I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe." -- Ephesians 1:18

Recently I went to the eye doctor for a vision checkup, not because my eyes are giving me trouble but because I had broken my two-year-old glasses and needed to have them replaced.  Since breaking my glasses a few weeks ago, I have been forced to wear even older glasses with a weaker reading lens, resulting in a little bit of a blur when the print is really small.  It's funny what a difference a little magnification makes!

Wouldn't it be nice if someone made glasses for the heart so we could see the potential in those who disappoint us, the opportunities that masquerade as problems, and the Light that has overcome the darkness that surrounds us?  Instead of being discouraged by the faults of others and our own shortcomings, wouldn't it be great if we could see things from God's perspective?  As a parent, even on my best days I need a different perspective!  I need to envision the great individuals my children will become as a result of the challenges they face, rather than the mistakes they will make as they grow toward independence and maturity.  I need to remember that I was once their age, too, and  I turned out okay!

In what area of life do you need your vision to improve?  Relationships?  Finances?  Your own sense of self-worth?  God has given us something far better than glasses to enlighten the eyes of our hearts -- he has give us his Word.  If you are struggling to catch a glimpse of a more glorious future for yourself and your loved ones, read God's Word with your eyes and your heart.  Not only will you begin to see things a little differently, but you will also enjoy the peace and contentment that come as you dwell in God's presence and stand on his Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment