Monday, January 10, 2011

Microwave Christianity

"I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope." -- Psalm 130:5

I almost hate to admit it, but I really miss my microwave!  Last night as we were preparing to pop a bag of microwave popcorn to enjoy on the first snowy night of winter, the microwave began making horrendous noises and smelled like it was burning.  Have you ever tried to pop microwave popcorn in a pot on the stove?  Let me save you the trouble....it doesn't work!  And those little reheating tasks I have taken for granted all these years now require more time and effort to accomplish.  While I realize that's not the end of the world, honestly I have better things to do with my time than wash the extra dishes required by more conventional cooking methods.

We like our modern conveniences, especially those that save us time and effort.  Why hand write and mail a card when you can more quickly type and send an email, right?   Somehow, though, a handwritten sentiment still touches us like no email can because of the time and effort taken to write something thoughtful.  When it comes to the Christian life, there is no such thing as microwave Christianity.  Becoming a mature Christian is an ongoing process that takes years and  requires time spent in God's presence, in fellowship and service with other believers, and in the study of God's Word.  As we grow in our relationship with God, we realize that sometimes his answers to our prayers don't come as quickly as we would like, but they always come on time and are worth the wait!

Just as a roast cooked in a crock pot is often more tender and flavorful than one cooked in a microwave, believers who invest their time seeking a more intimate relationship with God are "the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing" (2 Corinthians 2:15).  Instead of rushing through another day, be intentional about spending time seeking God's presence through prayer and his Word.  As you invest your time in building a closer relationship with him, you will find greater strength, joy, and peace to carry you through even your most trying days.

No comments:

Post a Comment