Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It's Just a Matter of Time

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." -- John 14:27

January has become my least favorite month of the year.  It is the month in which I have lost dearly loved family and friends.  In the past couple of weeks, a handful of people I have personally known have passed away.  More and more I am reminded that it's just a matter of time before each of us will draw our final breath.  The older I get, though, the less afraid I am of that day when I, too, will die.  As a Christian, I know that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:6), and I cannot think of a place I would rather be than in his presence.

The fourteenth chapter of John is a familiar passage of comfort which begins with these words spoken by Jesus himself:  "Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God; trust also in me.  In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you with me that you also may be where I am" (vs. 1-3).

This week I am reminded again of powerful lyrics from a favorite song, "In Christ Alone," written by Keith Getty and Stuart Townend:

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From a life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny

No power of hell, no scheme of man
Could ever pluck me from His hand
Til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I stand

Are you standing in the power of Christ today?  If he came to take you home, would you be ready?  If you answered no to either question, I invite you to receive Jesus as your Savior and Lord.  He died to forgive your sins so when you die, you can spend eternity with him.

If you have any questions about what it means to be saved, or if you make the decision to receive Jesus as your Savior, please email me at deedeewike@bellsouth.net.  I would count it an honor to pray for you.

1 comment:

  1. I also am a christian and admire your
    dedication to the Trinity.

    I am sure that one day "THE UTOPIE OF LOVE WILL JOIN PEOPLE TOGEHTER FOR EVER !" And this probably will be at the end of time/ apokalypse/end of the world/ call it how you want !

    i thank you that you and all religious people still exist and take your plageu !

    ReplyDelete