Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Broken Record: Gold Edition

"Then Job spoke again: 'My complaint today is still a bitter one, and I try hard not to groan aloud.'" -- Job 23:1-2 (NLT)

For only the second time in my life I am endeavoring to read through the entire Bible in a year.  One of my favorite verses in all of Scripture is Job 23:10, but we'll get to that later!

I was reading the twenty-third chapter of Job in the New Living Translation paraphrase when verse two jumped off the page.  "My complaint today is still a bitter one, and I try hard not to groan aloud."  Some days don't you feel like a broken record as you take your concerns to the Lord in prayer?  Lord, I really need a job.  Lord, can't you fix my spouse?  When, O Lord, will my teenager finally become responsible and respectful?  I know I do, and although I know God promises that he will work all things together for my good (Romans 8:28) and supply all my needs (Philippians 4:19), I still have trouble not complaining about the problems that seem to be a permanent part of my reality!

There's hope in this chapter of Job, and it is found in my favorite verse -- “But he knows where I am going.  And when he tests me, I will come out as pure as gold."  No matter how difficult life gets, how hard the trials may be that come, in the end I will come through refined, polished, and more valuable as a witness of God's grace and goodness.  So will you!

No comments:

Post a Comment