Monday, December 13, 2010

What's It All About?

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." -- Galatians 2:20

As I sat in church listening to a sermon about Christmas, my thoughts quickly went from the manger to the cross and I asked myself, What was Jesus' life all about anyway?  We know that Christ was God sent in human form as an infant, to grow and to live as a man among humanity, suffer our sorrows, and ultimately to be the perfect sacrifice for our sins.  Our sins deserved death, and only the blood of the Lamb of God could save and redeem us.

As a Christian, I have understood and fully embraced the teachings of the Bible.  I know that Jesus was fully God and fully man.  Because of his willingness to leave the riches of a perfect heaven and enter into an imperfect and difficult earthly existence, he fully understands every sorrow and sin we encounter in life.  He is not only sympathetic to our situation, but empathetic because he suffered in his body and his heart was not immune to sorrow and rejection.  What a God we have!

Jesus' life was all about us!  He came to live as one of us and to die for all of us.  If he gave the best of himself and was willing to die an excruciating death for us, why do we find it so hard to give the best of ourselves and live our lives wholly dedicated to him?  Jesus cheated death, but he didn't cheat us.  Yet, we are unfaithful to him every time we willingly choose to sin or neglect to do good when we have the opportunity to do so.

This Christmas season, perhaps we need to set apart some time just for him, to thank him for all he has done for us and to rededicate ourselves to living wholly for him.  It's the least we can do to express our gratitude to the One who gave everything for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment