Saturday, October 16, 2010

Fearless Factor

"When I am afraid, I will trust in you.  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid.  What can mortal man do to me?" -- Psalm 56:3-4

What is it about taking on a new challenge, especially one that comes as a result of answered prayer, that can leave us "in fear and trembling?"  When we pray for something and God answers our prayer, don't we sometimes find ourselves wondering if the outcome is a good thing?  It isn't uncommon for us to wonder what we've gotten ourselves into or find ourselves praying even more as a result of the prayer God answered in the first place.  Now that you have opened the door to a new job, what will I do about my son's work schedule?  What if one of my kids gets sick or my publisher schedules a book signing that conflicts with my work schedule?  Suddenly something that we received as a blessing from God can become a source of worry, if we allow it to.

Satan is a master at taking a blessing and turning it into a problem.  He will steal the joy of God's provision and blessing if we allow him to.  What we need to realize is that God's Word is powerful enough to slay the enemy and cast out the fears that often paralyze us.  Certainly, taking on a new job can raise issues with childcare, create added demands on one's schedule, and require some adjustments in our lifestyle, but isn't God big enough to help us with those?  Just because a prayer is answered and things change for us, that doesn't mean that God will change.   Neither will his Word.

God is still going to take care of our needs day by day, so we don't have to worry about tomorrow (Matthew 6:34).  He will still give us the wisdom we need, if we ask for it in faith, without doubting (James 1:5-6).  And he will make all grace abound to us, so that in all things at all times, having all we need, we will abound in every good work (2 Corinthians 9:8).

What is your new challenge?  Face it fearlessly, knowing that God is working all things together for your good (Romans 8:28)!

No comments:

Post a Comment