Monday, September 27, 2010

Road Trip -- Barnes and Noble!

This weekend Joy and I had our first book signing at a Barnes and Noble.  Just the thought of it still excites me -- what fun we had!  Thanks to all of you who prayed for our safety and success -- God was truly faithful and even blessed us with a gorgeous sunset on our return drive home.

After a harried day on Friday because of my husband's car problems, we departed for Hendersonville a little behind schedule.  Upon our arrival in Hendersonville, we opted to find the store before checking into the hotel.  Although these cellphone camera pictures don't do it justice, the store was beautiful and the window display quite lovely.  I had hoped to snap a shot of the window display in the daylight on Saturday, but the books had been removed and set up for the signing.



Hendersonville Barnes and Noble at night

The window display at Barnes and Noble

Joy's only saving grace, Disney Channel
 After visiting the bookstore, we headed to our hotel which was located, in all places, behind a Hooters!  When I booked the hotel online using my hotel membership card, the pictures didn't tell the whole story.  Buyer beware!  You get what you pay for.  The room may have been cheap, but the look on Joy's face when we pulled up to the hotel and walked inside was priceless!  Poor thing!  She just thought the Red Roof Inn we stayed in on another occasion was bad!  The lobby and hotel room were tiny, and the clearance between the foot of the bed and the television was no more than twelve inches.  Still, the room was clean and at the end of the day, we were thankful for a comfortable bed.  Make no mistake, though, we were up and out of there as early as we could manage it, and headed to the nearest Cracker Barrel for a GOOD breakfast!  Eating at Cracker Barrel was a first for Joy and a nice treat for both of us. 

After filling our tummies with such delicious comfort food, we headed to Rivergate Mall, which is currently undergoing renovations.  Since we had some time to kill before the book signing, we decided a little shopping was in order.  Good thing, too, because we discovered that the blouse I had taken to wear for the book signing had a rip in it.  I found one I liked even better at Cato. 

With great anticipation we headed to Barnes and Noble, where we were warmly received by Christine, the assistant store manager, and her associates.  Although we were only scheduled for a two-hour signing, I'd have stayed longer if time allowed.  Although I was fortunate to be able to sell and sign a few books, the bigger blessing was visiting with old friends and meeting new ones. 

My faithful assistant and photographer, Joy (11)


Although I hate having my picture made, I really was thrilled to be at Barnes and Noble.

Dee Dee with Bille Brackeen and her daughter, Tina Moore
 Having the opportunity to talk with women, encourage them, and share with them the reason for the hope I have is the best part of being an author and my reason for being in ministry.

After the signing, Joy and I embarked on another first for her, a visit to the Parthenon in Nashville.  I have not visited there since I was Joy's age or younger, so this was practically a first for me, too.  Joy took most of the pictures below.  We didn't get a chance to tour the inside because it was after hours and there was an arts & crafts festival going on in Centennial Park.






No comments:

Post a Comment