Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pass the Soap, Please

"A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you." -- John 13:10

My son and I are alike in so many ways that it scares me. We are both headstrong and unyielding at times, and that often leads to conflict. Most days I handle things relatively well, but recently I found myself saying things for which I later had to ask both God's and my son's forgiveness. I probably should have had my mouth washed out with soap, but I am not fond of the taste.

Sometimes we become exasperated by people or circumstances and find ourselves spewing words that are unbecoming a child of God. No matter how hard we try to avoid these undesirable outbursts, it is nearly impossible to hold our tongue in every situation because of the sin nature which resides in each of us. God understands that, and while he might not like the things we say, he is faithful to forgive our sins if we confess them to him (1 John 1:9).

When Jesus washed the disciples' feet, Simon Peter asked the Lord to wash not just his feet but all of him. Jesus quickly pointed out that because Simon Peter had already been made clean through Christ's forgiveness, only his feet needed washing. When we sin, our swift confession and a quick foot washing (or in my case, mouth washing!) is all that is needed to make us presentable to Jesus and restore our fellowship with him. His blood poured out on Calvary cleansed us from our sins once and for all.

Don't let dirty feet keep you from enjoying God's fellowship. Admit your mistake, confess your sin, and let your clean feet carry you as you walk beside him today.

No comments:

Post a Comment