Sunday, August 29, 2010

Lessons from the La-Z-Boy

"Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near.  Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts.  Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him, for he will freely pardon." -- Isaiah 55:6-7

When her stepmother and stepsisters go to the ball, Cinderella finds herself all alone and sad.  In Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Cinderella," she sings with melancholy, "in my own little corner in my own little chair, I can be whatever I want to be."  In her sad little corner of the world, the only friends Cinderella finds to talk with are three caged field mice.  That is, until the fairy godmother swoops in to make Cinderella's dreams come true with a wave of her magic wand, "and they all live happily ever after."  In my experience life doesn't work that way.

I, too, have a chair in the corner of my den.  My La-Z-Boy is a place I sit each morning with my faithful canine companion Madison and wait, not for a fairy godmother to wave her magic wand and make my troubles vanish, but for the Prince of Peace to comfort me with his presence and fill me with his love.

My La-Z-Boy has become a sacred classroom, a place where Jesus daily teaches me lessons for living that I have shared with others in the books and devotionals I have written.  It is the place he has revealed himself to me as I have opened and read his Word and penned journal after journal of prayers.  Whether I meet him first thing in the morning or well past the stroke of midnight, Jesus satisfies my soul with his love and fills my heart with his peace.  He is always there and goes with me everywhere I go.

If you don't have a place where you meet with Jesus everyday, consider finding a quiet corner somewhere and making a daily meeting with him your top priority.  Meeting with Jesus won't solve all your problems, but through the pages of Scripture he will teach you everything you need to know in order to live a life filled with love, joy, and purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment