Wednesday, August 18, 2010

It All Boils Down to One Thing

"The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me." -- John 12:25-26

After everyone went to bed, I sat in my La-Z-Boy contemplating the frustration I had felt most of the afternoon and trying to figure out the reason for it. Bothered by the lack of my family's (and my own) commitment to take care of normal routine responsibilities, I came to the conclusion that a lack of commitment or discipline in general usually boils down to one thing: a lack of commitment to God or an imbalance in our relationship with him.

When we love God, we desire to do what pleases him. If we know him because we have spent time in his Word, we will have a much better idea of how we should live in order to bring him honor and glory. If we are committed to God, we are more likely to be effective time managers, conscientious workers, and benevolent contributors to the needs of those around us. Doing things with excellence becomes important to us because we know that we serve a holy and righteous God who expects the best from his children.

Are you frustrated by someone else's lack of commitment? If they fail to do their best, is it because you have failed to model a committed life to them? Perhaps the best way to encourage initiative in someone else is to first rededicate ourselves to Christ, then live out that commitment in our relationships with others and by doing all things with integrity and excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment