Sunday, March 1, 2009

Tripped Up

I am writing this from our hotel in Albany, GA (Hilton Garden Inn -- very nice).

After a twelve-hour day, 650-mile drive -- originally was supposed to be about 450-mile, nine-hour day -- we arrived safely at our hotel. Using Mapquest (next time I'm taking a GPS), we took the back roads through Alabama and Georgia. We missed a key turn in Birmingham (my son was navigating from the Mapquest directions) and failed to give me the exit number. I am not blaming him; I must have looked at the directions (in tiny print) about ten times myself. We simply missed it. As we continued toward Atlanta, I told him that I thought we should turn back. We looked at the directions again to confirm it, then doubled back fifteen miles. Finally, we were headed in the right direction.

Oops! We did it again. Somehow we missed another turn, although I was carefully watching for road signs. There was a lot of construction; perhaps somehow it had been removed--I don't know. Anyway, after avoiding going through Atlanta, guess what? We found ourselves IN ATLANTA! How in the world did that happen? Thankfully my sweet husband was on standby and he quickly got out his maps (real ones are still the best) and through a series of phone calls navigated us to our hotel.

The kids never once complained about the ineptness of the driver to follow a simple set of Mapquest instructions. They were really sweet-spirited about the whole thing. At nearly midnight we finally settled in at our hotel.




The children all nestled snug in their bed,
dreaming of Disneyworld.


As I kept asking the Lord, "Why this annoying detour?", I realized that it was His way of including Steve in our vacation and making him feel not only needed, but missed. All's well that ends well.

Collierville (where we live) and the surrounding Memphis metro area is blanketed under several inches of snow. This morning, we are heading south again, with a much shorter drive ahead of us, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment